Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Recent Events

I recently took a trip back home to Ottawa to show the two exchange students (a girl from Germany and a boy from Poland) who are living with me here at school my nation's capital. Here are some photos from our trip:

Here I am with Nora, me wearing my new school sweater. This year my school came out with these darling ivy-league inspired cardigans with our school crest and stripes on the sleeves. I of course scooped one up as quickly as possible.

..........................

Normally my school is supposed to have an annual Homecoming, but because our last principal (who was only the interim principal attempting to flex his muscles for his 3 months in office) decided to cancel our homecoming for 2 years. A little history- my school was in the news a couple of years ago for tipping a car upside down and setting it on fire during one of the massive homecoming celebrations. So I understand the school's actions to minimize the craziness of the event. Even though we didn't have an official homecoming this year, we still attended the football game and celebrated with a "faux-coming" party.

Our football players. Pretty good. Much better over the last couple of years. But I'd much rather see Tebow on the field.

Our crazy engineers. They have this strange tradition of rushing the field during halftime and slamming their jackets against the ground. That and they dye themselves completely purple. Very odd, but fun to watch.

Our cheerleaders. Adequate, but not all that fantastic. I miss the spectacles of Gator games.

So although it was unofficial, it was still a fun weekend. I suppose the fun is now over, and it's time to get back to work. I already miss summer vacation.


3 comments:

  1. What the heck is it with engineering students? I dont get it lol!
    Such a shame about your homecoming :O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear homecoming was cancelled! But what a beautiful campus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our engineers have some incredibly odd traditions. Another fun one: during orientation week, the freshmen have to use random materials found around the campus to build contraptions which they use to carry around the nursing freshmen for a day. It certainly seems like a better tradition for the nurses, though. I'm very happy to go to a school that has so many beloved traditions. They make for great blog posts!

    ReplyDelete